When going reef fishing, especially with your family perhaps you’re hoping to show them the ropes of fishing, it is important to keep some tips in mind. You can also check out the reef fishing in key west in case you’re planning a trip or holiday and fishing is on your to-do list.
You should know that any trip, especially a fishing trip, would require strategic planning for it to be a success, that is if you are hoping to get any fish at all. For a beginner, you would need to know some things.
This article would help you gain insight.
The following are tips for reef fishing
- Finding a decent spot – This is the most crucial part of reef fishing. You would need a GPS coordinator for this. Finding a good spot can seem difficult at first but once you have that down you are good to go.
- Choosing the proper fishing kit – For someone new to reef fishing, you must know that your fishing can be easily damaged over the reef which is why it is preferable to use a braided fishing line resistant to friction than the usual kind of fishing line. You would also need strong swivels and a large over-the-sinker appropriate help with sinking your hook into the bait.
- Take note of the weather – The weather plays a major role when going reef fishing. You need to take note of the direction of the wind and the tide.
- Choosing the right bait – It is very important to know the right bait when reef fishing. Making use of live baits such as shrimp, and crabs are suitable for reef fishing. And in situations where you are unable to get your hands on them, you can make do with fresh fish pieces not frosty or spoiled.
- Get yourself a local as a guide – for someone who is doing this for the first time, for you to have a lasting experience, you would need to find a local guide. Aside from the experience, it would allow for ahead planning of a relaxing and successful trip.
Finally, be patient and try to relax.